OK, so maybe I don't hate all fruit but I've probably gone a year at a time without eating a piece of fresh fruit. If my 3-year-old didn't love it, I would probably still forget to eat any.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Downfall of the Points System

I am so frustrated that I gained half a pound this week. I know that sounds crazy since it was Christmas. But I really tried hard to stay within my points allowance, and I finished the week 5 points UNDER it!!! At the same time, I know exactly what I did wrong. I have been giving myself a larger allowance for nursing the baby than the system recommends based on how hungry I’ve been, and have been losing about a pound a week. But last week, I wasn’t as hungry through the day and kept ending up with 10 points leftover. Being my reckless self, instead of eating a smart snack when I got hungry in the late evening and leaving points unused, I used the rest of my points on ice cream and Pepsi and cookies, etc. :P

So, lessons learned: First, the downfall of the points system is that if I misuse it instead of listening to my body, I won’t get anywhere. Second, using a lot of points on ice cream and Pepsi isn’t the wisest thing. Yeah, I know, go figure. Third, if I'm not as hungry as I have been, it's time to scale back the points I allow myself a little.

I stand by the Points system though. See my post: Why I Love the Weight Watchers System.  I don’t think I mentioned that, used correctly, it brings a healthier balance to my diet. The way points are calculated basically penalizes me for eating foods high in fat and rewards me for eating foods high in fiber (in my case, especially vegetables).

5 comments:

  1. I was thinking about this today, and I realized that since Bekah is on solids now, she is probably not drinking as much and you are not producing as much...so that might have contributed. Good for you for reevaluating and getting things back under control!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pepsi and cookies... they are so good... they will get you every time. I find my hunger is my best guide, but it's hard to listen to that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving the way they have changed the points system to encourage healthier choices. It now accounts for things like added sugar, which it used to not. A banana used to be more points than a jell-o cup, but not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? Since I'm not on the "official" system, I don't keep up with it. That sounds worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Elaina was Rebekah's age I learned I could retrain my hunger signal. Basically, you're the boss of your hunger signal. You can teach it how to guide you by giving it a consistent pattern to follow. It came out of a teaching on fasting. Anyway, that helped me cut back my calorie intake as I realized I was overeating. Like you, I had cut back on nursing but not on calories.

    ReplyDelete