OK, so maybe I don't hate all fruit but I've probably gone a year at a time without eating a piece of fresh fruit. If my 3-year-old didn't love it, I would probably still forget to eat any.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

It’s Not a Party Without…

I had an interesting conversation with my sister the other day.  She had read my “About Me” page, and the part where I list out my favorite foods rung a bell for her. “I love Sonic, and Pepsi, and chocolate, and ice cream, and mounds of mashed potatoes and…”  She thought “Sonic, ding! Pepsi, ding! Chocolate, ding!” and so on.  All of those things have been comfort foods for her too.  Being 8 years older than me, she remembers life when we were little and our parents had no money.  Eating out (always at Sonic) was rare, and considered a family fun night.  Pepsi, Ding Dongs, and ice cream were *the* special treat we sometimes had, and always went together.  And we only had mashed potatoes with a roast, and that was the special/celebratory meal that mom cooked for us.  These all represent what we remember as “Party Night at the Readers!”  There’s one mystery solved.  I love those foods because there are many happy memories associated with them.  So now to overcome the thought that it is the food that makes me happy and remember that it is the time with family and the fun we have that warms my heart.  And that true happiness only comes from the hope and love I have found in Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. My family always gathers around the kitchen when we're all together, and it's easy at times now that I'm away from them to find comfort in cooking the foods from home that I grew up with. I did this a lot the week after Thanksgiving as I had just left them again from a visit back home. Thanks for the reminder that it's not the food, it's the people that warm our hearts :)

    ReplyDelete